Orange Rice Pudding with Maca
A delicious sweet and citrucy dish that will soothe your comfort food cravings.
- 2-3 Tbsp red maca
- 1 strip orange peel, plus 1/2 teaspoon grated zest
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 3 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
- Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Combine the orange peel, 2 cups water, the butter and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and return to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Bring the milk, granulated sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla to a low boil in another saucepan.
- Add the rice and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring, until the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the grated orange zest and 1/4 cup mascarpone.
- Transfer the rice pudding to a large bowl and let cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold and set, about 2 hours.
- Beat the remaining 1/4 cup mascarpone and the confectioners' sugar in a bowl.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and orange peel from the pudding.
- Serve topped with the mascarpone and cinnamon.